Thursday, July 31, 2008

Maci is Cast-Free!!!

July 25th was a special day for Maci...she got her Cast removed, yeah!!!

The night before was full of mixed emotions, Maci was actually sad and didn't want to have her cast taken off. She and that pink leg did a lot in the last 4 1/2 weeks!! I can seriously say that it didn't slow her down one bit. Aside from cancelling swimming lessons, cancelling gymnastics, and definately no bike riding, we made it through just fine. She even wore out the bottom on the foot and heel. For the times she wasn't "hoppin along" she rode in the stroller. I rigged it where Avery stayed in her car seat and hung from the handles, while Maci rode more comfortably. (Going up and down that big hill for swim lessons was a doosy!) We stayed pretty busy, going to McKay's swim lessons for 2 different weeks, McKay's baseball games, Lehi City days parade and carnival, 4th of July fireworks, the Monday morning movies, slip-n-sliding, Kangaroo Zoo, and thanks to modern technology we were able to take advantage of the "water-proof" leg and go to Seven Peaks Waterpark once. Apparently having a casted leg bothered this one women who sat on the sidelines of the kiddie pool...here was our conversation:
Lady: "Excuse me, excuse me..." (as she is pointing to Maci) "is that your little girl with the cast on?"
Me: "Yes" (thinking she might say something like, "oh she is so cute with that pink cast") oh no...
Lady: "Well, doesn't that thing collect mold and stuff inside?"
Me: kindof chuckling, "oh no, it is actually waterproof"
Lady: "Waterproof? Are you sure? I have never heard of that before, and I have 5 boys"
Me: (thinking, is she calling me a liar?) "Yep, we got lucky and the Dr. ordered it waterproof, and it actually needs to get wet every day"
Lady: "Is that something new, because we have had broken bones and never a cast like that"
Me: "well this is our first time, and hopefully our last"
Lady: "So, does that cost more?"
Me: "I Don't know, I haven't got the bill yet."

This whole time I am thinking to myself, are you for real lady? Honestly, do you think I would bring my kid out here in the swimming pools with a cast full of mold? I really wanted to just say, why yes, it is full of mold and that is why we are here, so the chlorine can kill it all!! SERIOUSLY!!

Although having a broken leg right in the middle of the summer pretty much sucked, we all endured. And Maci was definately a TROOPER. We will miss your pretty pink (that turned to orange) leg, but have to say We don't want you back!!

Step One: use the saw to cut through the hard cast
Step Two: use the pliers to break open the hard cast (it reminded me of breaking crab legs!)
Step Three: Use the scissors to cut the gauze layer

Step Four: Pull apart hard cast from Maci's leg. (she wasn't so sure about it)
This is when mom starts panicking...Maci started crying saying it hurt when he touched it...I thought "are we going to have to do this all over again?" The PA felt so bad, but assured me that it is pretty normal. Having her leg in one position for the past 4 weeks will make it tender. Our next step is to X-Ray her little leg so that the Dr. can see that if break has healed... The X-Rays looked great, the break had healed. The Dr. said that it will take time to build up her muscle, but for now, put her in a hot bath and give her Ibuprofen for the pain...and that I would probably be carrying her around for the next week or so...what? I thought we were through!!

Once again she has proved the Dr. wrong (or just shows her independence) I haven't had to carry her around at all. However, she does have a little limp and favors that leg. But who wouldn't when you were used to hauling a hard cast around everywhere you went? It has taken some getting used to. I know she wants to just get going, but has to be careful too. She has gotten ahead of herself and has tripped a few times...poor thing, but she will get it back to normal again...we can't wait to start gymnastics and get the rest of the summer over with.

10 comments:

Natelli Johnston said...

Oh, I'm so glad she got it off!, she did look stinkin cute with it though. Thanks for your sweet comment Mandi. I can't wait for tonight.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Maci (and Mommy!) you are such a trooper!!!!

Lindsay said...

I am glad that she got that off!!! Way to be brave.

Erin said...

Maci is such a brave girl! I can't believe that CRAZY lady at the pool! Some people just want to nit pick at others.

Teri said...

I think that you totally should have said that the cast was full of mold and was having the chlorine kill it all, then followed up by "Here's your sign!" Hearing about taking the cast off brings back memories. I'm so glad to hear she is doing so great! Way to go Maci!!!

Autumn said...

Yay! I'm so happy for Maci and for you! I bet that hill at swimming lessons was a killer with the stroller and 2 little girls! Holy cow! It was a killer for me with nothing but my purse to carry! ...P.S. I hate dumb people! I think you should have given the mold lady a piece of your mind! :) Had so much fun last night! Can't wait to do it again!!

Chelsea said...

Oh!! Good for her and for you!! That last picture after she got it off is a little sad. I'm sure that it was short lived.

What is wrong with that lady? You were so polite to her too! I'm not as nice. I still have the same # call me, I would love to see you!

The Lower Family said...

I have no idea what you said in your post since I can't read it but I wanted to say ya for Maci for making all summer with that thing! I bet you are glad too! We need to get the kids together before summer ends so talk to Kristin!

Mandi said...

Melissa,
I changed my font to see if that might help you see my words...I still haven't figured out why you can't see what I write, hopefully this works for you!!

Anonymous said...

What a cute girl! I am so glad she was able to get her cast off.

I miss you guys! I miss seeing you every week at our meetings for RS. We need to get together again like old times! I think Cheree mentioned lunch or something? I will folow-up!