Sunday, November 23, 2008

Not your typical RASH...

So imagine how I felt when my baby woke up with this...

Yes, I was a bit disturbed at the sight of my baby's whole body covered in this red rash. I immediately called my mom to be sure that chicken pox is not in patches, but tried not to alarm her as I was decribing what I saw. I quickly hung up the phone and called the doctors office. As I was thinking of all the things she may have eaten (maybe from an allergic reaction), I worried it may be more. She had been running a very low grade fever for the past week and I had gone back and forth about taking her into the dr's office. Well, I made the appointment and I was told to keep her in the car and the doctor would come to us, just in case it was chicken pox.

here she is waiting in the car for our parking lot visit.

It has been such a strange rash. After Maci's gymnastics we took Avery into the dr's office (parking lot). The nurse came to examine her, and knew immediately that it was NOT chicken pox. During our ride over the rash continued to get more red, but then would lighten up after the dr. visit. Dr. C entered the room, laughing, but explained she didn't expect to see this covering her whole face. Without hesitation she studdered out the words...Erythema Multiforme (yes I had her write it down for me.) It is a rash that is most commonly caused from medications (which she is not on any) or a virus (which must be the culprit)...IT IS NOT CONTAGIOUS!!!

I was informed that it is an inflammatory skin erruption that will be reddish/purplish in color and will be seen in all sorts of different patterns. She said it was a mild case, (are you kidding me?) but if we start to see sores in the mouth or she stops urinating or eating, to bring her right back in. She also said not to be alarmed if I see blood coming to the surface because that is what is being affected the capilaries in her body. Yeah if that isn't going to scare me. There are no medications to help it, it will just take its course, which later after googling, I found out it can last 1-3 weeks, yikes!! My poor little girl! Before leaving, the doctor asked if another dr. and PA could come in to see...like she is part of some freak show!! The doctor that came in was real cute and asked which one of us had the rash...To make light of the matter he wished us luck and we were on our way.

So we came home and she took a little nap, and when she woke up the rash was not on her face as much, but her lips were swollen. I tell you, it is a strange virus. The patches seem like they are swollen, and blister like. Her legs and feet were more purple then before. It really looks painful, but she has been a trooper.


She is still a happy girl, but as time goes on she has acted like it has bothered her a bit. Last night we ended up giving her a little Benedryl to help with the itching. She loves her baths, but I haven't figured out yet if it helps, at least it keeps her happy, right.

As we patiently wait our 1-3 weeks, we hope that there will be no scarring or anymore outbreaks. Google claims is is rare in children younger than 3 yrs old...how lucky are we? But it also claims that outbreaks are very common once you have had the first, some have recurrences up to 6 times a year, it says it is more common in males, (how do we fit here?), and that sunlight can also trigger another outbreak. For us there are some triple whammy's. Wish us luck as we "wait" this out. Until then, I guess I will reschedule our family pictures appointment.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor thing! I would have totally freaked too if one of mine woke up with a rash like that! I hope it is only the 1 week version and doesn't reoccure!

Jason and Kristin said...

Yikes, I tried to call today to see if she was doing any better but no one was home. Poor little lamb, it looks really bad especially those lips (you know people pay good money to have their lips look like that). Talk to you tomorrow.

Fiddlefish said...

Oh!!!! Poor little thing. Hope she gets all better soon. Scary.

Tara

Teri said...

I missed you today and was hoping that Avery was feeling better. I feel bad for the both of you, I think it's as hard on mom as it is on her. She looks like a happy little girl through all of this. What a sweetie. I'm with Kristin, people pay good money for lips like that!

Wendy said...

Boy that rash does look scary. It's gotta be hard waiting out the 1-3 weeks. Good Luck!

Emily said...

Oh, so sad. Sarah's little girl had something like that last week, too. The doc said the same thing about it being related to medications. Weird! Good luck!!

Chelsea said...

Adri got this when she was 4 months old. It is from a virus that she caught from someone else. It took about 4 weeks for it to go away. Zyrtec was given to us and that seemed to help with the irritation. I didn't give it to her much though. Call me if you need any other info. Sorry.....it's no fun.

Autumn said...

Of course Chelsea's family has had this! They get everything!! :) Poor little baby! She is still so stinkin cute though, smiling in her bath! Her poor lips looks so painful! Hope she feels better soon!!

Kristi said...

Poor girl! Hope she feels better soon!!

Lindsay said...

I am sorry to hear. I know what she is going through. I don't have that paticular virus but my skin is so sensitive that if it touches anything new it breaks out in weird rashes all the time. Poor girl!

Arin said...

So I am a total stalker...sorry! I am so glad I ran across your blog!! I can't believe how big your kids are getting...they are too cute! I hope you are ok that I am adding you guys to my favorites list! Take care!!

Colette said...

I have similar pictures of Abby when she was about 18 months old. I totally thought she had hives maybe she had this virus though. If she did, she's never had an outbreak again. I Hope that gives you some hope and wish you the best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Poor little girl, I guess it was a while ago, but I hope she is better. I need to check blogs more often! We need to hang out!

Petersons said...

Yeah, I found your blog! I'll keep checking in on your cute family!