Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Sing...just a bit too late!

You know when you first read something, like let's just say the time for the school Christmas program, and the time sticks in your head (1:00 PM) ...no matter if they happen to change the time and even make note of it on the homework packet? Well, that is exactly what happened to me today, and I was a bit mad.

So I show up at the school 20 minutes early (in order to get a decent seat), only to find the parking lot completely full!! Yeah after lasts year's experience I knew it would be a bit crazy, but I thought I was early, right? I end up parking a mile away from the school...I should have just walked in the first place. I had decided not to take in the stroller, big mistake. Here I am hauling Avery with her big coat, blanket, my purse full of treats to keep kids occupied while we wait, my video camera, and my other camera, and Maci complaining of the cold and walking so far... I am sure if any of you passed me, you laughed.

I get to the school completely out of breath and by that time, sweating! Upon entering the cafeteria I hear singing, already? It is 12:50, yep it is my son and the rest of the first grade finishing up their last song. I had just enough time to set Avery down pull out the video camera and record the last line of "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" What an AWESOME mom I am as I see McKay looking around for our familiar faces. I felt HORRIBLE, and MAD way MAD!!

I wanted to leave right then, but Dave hadn't gotten there yet. He called me right as the classes were exiting the stage. Maci wanted to stay and watch the others sing so we stayed for a couple more songs then went and visited McKay in his class. His teacher felt so bad, and worried that some mothers (ME) wouldn't see the note that changed the time...well yeah. She put it on the bottom of the homework page, but like before I already had it in my head that it was at 1:00 so I only read the part about them wearing best dress. She was nice enough to pull him out of the movie they were watching in another classroom so that I could take his picture with his Reindeer antlers on.

Oh well, there is always next year, and the year after, and the year after that...But this year I learned my lesson. Go to both performances JUST IN CASE even if your last name doesn't fit the time slot, and pay attention to ALL of the notes that come home!! Better luck next time!

8 comments:

Erin said...

I just made it in time, I didn't even get the camera steady before it was over! I talked to Coltons teacher and she thought it was at 1:00 until Wednesday and that is when she changes the packets. So you are not alone. Don't feel bad =)

PS Don't forget we are going to have a lunch date after christmas...watch for the call

Carter Family said...

I am so sorry!

Selfieprotection said...

Oh man that stinks, we just went eto Mik's the other nigh but it was so packed and little kids everywhere I couldn't hear anything or even see the stage.Anywayways Mik had that same reindeer hat in his performance too thought that was funny

Fiddlefish said...

Don't feel badly. The same thing happened to me last year -- I walked in as Taylor was singing the last line of his song b/c it took me 15 minutes to walk from where I parked. And as for today...hmm -- I didn't even know it WAS "best dress." LOL I never got a note at all about that one. The school is too packed, parking is too packed, etc. You're a great Mom, and McKay knows that.

Mindy said...

Hey Mandi I had a perfect view of McKay, so I took a picture for you. I will email it to you. I went 45 minutes early and got the last 3 seats on the front row. It is time to build 3 more schools in the area.

Arin said...

Glad that I am not the only one that this happens to more often then not! Gotta love those great moments...I can't believe how big McKay is...crazy!!

Chelsea said...

Oh Mandi! I've done that too. Adri still brings it up. I really didn't see that second note come home! Or, I am a little crazy?

I'm so sorry. Really, I am. McKay is very handsome with those antlers on though:)

Teri said...

I completely forgot the whole thing. I picked up that day and Connor said, "mom why didn't you come?" I felt horrible. Totally forgot, and didn't remember to dress him in his best dress either! ugh!