Monday, September 8, 2008

"Ten FREE tickets, for your Time..."

That is the famous phrase that you know you will never fall for. Yeah, 10 FREE tickets sounded great to me, until I arrived to help at this year's Fall Carnival for the elementary school.


Kristin and I decided this year to "be involved" so we both joined the PTA...maybe that was the first mistake!! Second, I got lured into volunteering for the fall carnival, but hey "10 FREE tickets" sounded alright to me. Well, the biggest problem was arriving 5 minutes after 5PM to man my booth...the COTTON CANDY table!! Thank goodness to good friends that made my night enjoyable. Kristin and Kim saved me a spot right with them...little did we know that our "ONE hour" service would soon turn into FOUR, yes you read that right...F-O-U-R!!!


So we got a little system down with Kim and I making the cotton candy and Kristin bagging the cotton candy + taking tickets + watching Jonah + somehow managing to sneak in making and bagging the popcorn (wonder woman)!! However, during our "ONE Hour" of fun it quickly turned into a huge sticky mess. Our little machines didn't stop (except for the few times to clean them). And the whole time I kept wondering where our replacements after ONE hour were at...I decided that as everyone saw how fun it actually was they decided that being covered from ear to ear and head down to knees wouldn't be so much fun at the end of the night to clean up...well it wasn't!!

Kim and I looked like we were growing sugar beards and cobweb hair, our eyelids kept sticking shut and yes our arms looked like we were growing blue and pink mold up them both, but we sure were "SWEET"!!

So many people kept commenting on how great we looked all covered with cotton candy, we even had several people taking our pictures with their cell phones. That is when I decided to get our camera from the car...McKay did a great job taking several shots of the "Cotton Candy Queens"...I wish we would have taken a picture of the line of people waiting for the famous treat...Next year you will NOT see me anywhere near that table even if "Ten FREE tickets for your time" is announced. Maybe a good massage, facial and pedicure would do the trick, but as for next year we will be standing in lines with our kids!! Thanks Kim and Kristin for making light of the night, and for 'sticking' it out together...that's what true friends are!!

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

You do look good covered in pink and blue!! I bet it was good cotton candy though! At least now I know, when my kids get to school to stay away from the ten free tickets.

Wendy said...

Wow, what a sticky mess. But I think it's great you are "involved"!

Amy Jones said...

I, too, was super impressed that you were doing the whole PTA thing...but I did start wondering why no one else was working the machines for you two. You gals were STALWARTS! Thanks for the treats...and I'm sooo glad you got pictures.

Jason and Kristin said...

Holy Cow what a night! If it weren't for you and KIm I would have been miserable! Thanks for the memories!!!

Emily said...

It wouldn't have been a carnival without you three. Thanks for doing something I wouldn't!

Christensen family said...

Loved those pictures! Such a good mom! You should have gotten 11 free tickets after that! HA!!!!

Autumn said...

Those were the BEST pictures!! So funny! I can't believe you got stuck doing that for FOUR hours!! No wonder you guys were covered! Glad you made the best of it and had a good time!

Jonie said...

Oh Mandi, I am all for helping but that is ridiculous. All I can say is I am glad that you were not alone.

Chelsea said...

Oh Geez!!! Things that we do for our kids!! That is great! At least you had Kristin & Kim to endure with you. Great pictures!

Jason and Kristin said...

Hey, I tagged you. I wanna know your quirks so get on it!