Sunday, June 22, 2008

First Day of Summer...

I find it very ironic that on the official "First day of Summer" it happens to be Maci's last.

Friday afternoon McKay came running inside telling me that Maci was really hurt, "come outside NOW!!" I retrieved a bloody murder screaming child from the trampoline and knew something was wrong. She was complaining that her leg hurt. I laid her on the lawn and asked her to show me where it hurt and had her put her leg straight...I didn't see any out of place bones, but when I put her down to see if she could walk, she screamed!! She could not put any weight down, and that was when I knew something was really bad.

Since she was in her swimsuit, I put her in the bath to clean her up and thought it might relieve some of the pain, but no! She was hurting. She kept telling me that all she wanted to do was go to sleep because she was tired. I dressed her and laid her on my bed as I called the Dr. the next available appointment would be at 7:00 PM. I gave her some tylenol and she did fall asleep. I was having friends over at 6PM and oh am I so grateful that they were here. I was able to leave Avery and McKay and off we went to the Dr.

Man, was she a trooper. Although she was in pain, she held very still for the Dr. to check her out. They sent us over to the hospital for X-rays and then back to the office for the results. The results: A fracture in the Tibia. I don't know my anatomy well at all so she had to show me that it was on the top part of her leg just below the knee. The Dr. put a temporary "soft" (it is actually hard underneath the wrap) cast on, gave us a perscription for the pain, and information for a referral to the surgical center on Monday!!

During all of this drama, Dave was out of town running the Wasatch Back Relay Race and wasn't planning on being home until late Saturday. Of course he was in the canyon, so I couldn't get a hold of him. He got my messages and called just as her leg was being wrapped. Feeling helpless, he said he would call as soon as he got back into the valley, that was Saturday morning. Dave and his teammates were exhausted, not to mention Dave's knee was pretty messed up. They decided not to run through the finish line, and just came home. So he made it home Saturday afternoon. He and Maci relaxed and watched more movies, and I headed off to the store to buy Maci a new cast wearing wardrobe.

We are now learning patience with a little four year old, that has been pretty used to being independent. We have to carry her everywhere. The bathroom is my biggest task!! She is getting very bored of watching movies, and has asked me numerous times when she gets her cast off...we are just beginning!! I have decided a positive that may come out of this, I may get some muscles!!

I just want to say THANK YOU to my wonderful friends! You all have been so helpful especially on Friday night. I am sad that I missed out on a fun night, but I am so glad that you all stuck around and had a fun night together. FYI, we will be having another girls night open to anyone and everyone more details to come. (Melissa I was very sad that I didn't get to even visit with you, after driving all the way down).

Maci and I also want to say a big THANK YOU to all that have come by, called and sent gifts her way. She has been in very good spirits and I know that it is all because of you that Care and Love her. Thank you and we Love you all!

15 comments:

Amber Culp Family said...

Poor little Maci! How sad to spend the summer in bed! (Poor mom too, to have to deal with it!) Good luck, and give her hugs and kisses from Connecticut. We will be in American Fork July 7-15, so I will give you call when I get to my mom's house.

Lindsay said...

Poor little girl!!!

Kristi said...

Sad!!! Sounds like she is a tooper tho!

Autumn said...

Poor little Maci! She is a brave little girl! I can't believe how well she was handling the pain...I know I wouldn't have been as brave! I so hope she doesn't have to have surgery! Keep us informed! ...and I'm there for father's and sons! Good times!

Selfieprotection said...

Ouch. i couldn't even imagine all the work this is going to make for you. The things we do for our children!

The Lower Family said...

I can't believe maci actually broke her leg. Poor thing and poor you! Sorry that I didn't get to see you. We will have to get together soon. By the way, I can't read your post. I can see pictures and headings but I can't see the body of the post. It seems that everyone else can so I don't know what my computer's problem is! Anyway hope you survive!

Amy said...

Poor little squirt. I can't believe she broke her leg. Now I'm scared to let my kids on the trampoline. Uggg.. Good luck with taking care of and entertaining the injured. Let me know if you need anything.

Chelsea said...

Poor little Maci!!! What a long summer this is going to be huh? Sorry that you missed your own party. Next time I'm in town- hope you'll have another party!! :) Good luck.

Jodi Jo said...

Oh,I am so sorry! She is going to have a long summer (and yours may be a little frustrating).

Fiddlefish said...

Mandi Mandi Mandi...what a day! Poor little Maci. Do they even make crutches that small for a child?

Tara B.

Aubri n Scott said...

Let me know if you need anything, I have girls that can help tend and everything! Just breathe!

Keisel Family said...

Poor girl! That is one big cast for such a tiny body. I am also sorry for you. This will make summer interesting for your family. Hang in there.

Nina and Ryan said...

Look at that beautiful smiling face--even admist adversity. What a trooper!!

Hollie said...

my maddux had a small fracture under her knee from the trampoline in April. we had to carry her around for about a week is all til they gave us the okay to take off the soft cast. it was a pain in the butt to carry her all over so i feel your pain! hope it gets better quick!

Christensen family said...

She is such a beautiful girl. Look at her smiling and happy after going through that. Good luck Mandi!!!